If I hear the word contradiction one more time, I am going to scream. Seriously.

I am going to be upfront with you all: I absolutely hated this reading. It felt disorganized, rushed, and repetitive. There were very few moments of actual clarity, where Lowe actually tells us something worth making note of. I know this may sound harsh, but I really felt lost for most of this text. I read each paragraph at least twice, and found myself lost within run-on sentences, and seemingly incomplete thoughts.

From what I could gleam from the reading: I really thought her definition of racism was a good one. Racism as ever-changing, not static. Also her discussion between rights and right infringement was interesting. A right can only be a right as long as it does not conflict with the right of another citizen. Additionally, Lowe’s description of a citizen was excellent: by becoming a citizen, a person must successfully give up what makes them them. In order to become “American” an immigrant is going to have to give up a chunk of his/herself – namely his/her old customs and way of life. There is a reason that American was called the great melting pot. It did not mean that we were all blending together happily, rubbing elbows with people of all different cultures while all taking part in a unique, “American,” culture. A melting pot was where impurities were burned off of metals. America as a melting pot is exactly the type of America Lowe was talking about: okay, you can come in, but you have to get rid of everything that defines you as an Asian before we’ll take you.

There is so much more that I could say, but most of it involves questions that I don’t really think I have the answer to. I’ll probably bring up some of them tomorrow as facilitator.

Discussion Questions / Thoughts: What does Lowe mean by her capital v. political/state dichotomy? What sort of role does collective memory play for Asian Americans – and does this apply to other immigrant groups as well?

One Response to “If I Hear the Word Contradiction One More Time, I’ll Scream”

1. Student Publishing and the Web Context – Semantic UMW says:

[…] If I Hear the Word Contradiction One More Time, I’ll Scream If I hear the word contradiction one more time, I am going to scream. Seriously. I am going to be upfront with you all: I absolutely hated this reading. It felt disorganized, rushed, and repetitive. There were very few moments of actual clarity, where Lowe actually tells us something worth making note of. […]